Return
Bio image
Flag

Return

Selke, Maj. George | Shrady, Lt. Frederick C. | Sickman, Maj. Laurence


Shrady, Lt. Frederick C.  

Lieutenant, U.S. Army, Monuments, Fine Arts, and Archives (MFAA) Officer

A well-known artist both before and after World War II, Shrady served with the MFAA in Bavaria. Following his graduation from Oxford University in 1931, he settled in Paris to live and work as a painter until 1940. Living in the Montparnasse district, Shrady found himself at an epicenter of the avant-garde, surrounded by artists such as Picasso, Matisse, Leger, and his own mentor, Andre Derain. He was quite successful, with works in the Metropolitan Museum of Art and several museums across France. During the war, Shrady served in the U.S. Army, and was made a liaison officer to the Free French forces because of his fluency in French. He was eventually stationed in Vienna as a Monuments Man. There he met his wife, Maria Louise Likar-Waltersdorff, who was an interpreter for the MFAA. They married in 1946, and Shrady resumed his work as an artist, however shifting his focus to sculpture.

His first sculpture, completed in 1950, portrayed the head of Fr. Martin D’Archy S.J., and was quickly acquired by the Metropolitan Museum of Art. In 1982, Shrady became the first American to be commissioned by the Pope for a sculpture in the Vatican Gardens. He created a 12-foot marble statue of Our Lady of Fatima for Pope John Paul II. While best known for his religious sculptures, Shrady produced secular works as well, such as a 15-foot bronze sculpture at the F.B.I. headquarters symbolizing bravery, integrity, and fidelity. Several of his works are at the Vatican, and his Peter the Fisherman can be seen at Fordham University. Shrady was awarded the Legion of Honor by the French government, and was also made Knight Equestrian of the Order of the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem.

To find out more about Frederick Shrady's sculpture, please visit http://www.dcmemorials.com/index_indiv0002200.htm
 

 


Copyrighted by Monuments Men Foundation for the Preservation of Art